Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Badger

I saw one today. I was pretty shocked, and really wanted to jump out of my car and chase it. But I decided that might not be the best idea.

But there it was, running across the road just in front of my house. I stopped and watched it as it ran through the brush, stopped to look at me a couple of times, and then continued on out of sight. I was, and still am, pretty excited about that. We have indications that we have badgers out here, but very few people ever report seeing one. Now I can say we really do have them...well, at least one. :)

Males have a home range of up to 2100 acres, and female ranges vary from about 1700 acres in the summer, down to as few as 5 acres in winter. So, with that in mind, there may only be a few individuals on the northern 2000 acres of Antelope Island. And they are generally nocturnal. That may explain why they are so rarely seen.

Until this morning.

1 comment:

Sybil said...

Oh my -- a badger ! I would be utterly THRILLED to see one. How lucky you were.