Thursday, May 10, 2007

A Day at Work

I don't know where spring has gone. It was coming, I'm sure of that. But then it just kind of stepped aside and let summer move right in.

It was pretty toasty today. Well, ok. It wasn't that bad. It was actually quite nice. Perfect for a hike. So that's what I did. Work this morning consisted of making some phone calls on a few projects that just seem to linger and linger, went through my emails, and then took off with my GPS to map out a trail and find a particular spot along this trail. It ended up being about a 6 mile hike. It was beautiful, but its obvious I'm quite out of shape. Huffing and puffing most of the way up.

But the area made it all worth it. The area I went to today I have only been to once in the winter. Its just beautiful now (well it was then, too). Several green, open fields broken up by stands of oak and aspen trees. A deer and I had a staring contest for a while. She won. I had places to go, she obviously didn't. I also heard the gobble of one of the wild turkeys that live in the area, and then heard his females clucking a little bit later. What a fun sound to hear wild turkeys...in the wild!

When I got back to the office, I followed up on some of those pesky projects that keep not going away, and held a couple of seasonal/volunteer trainings for some of our people. Not nearly as exciting as watching a bird flutter from tree to tree, or watching ants devouring a fallen log. But its a job, and somebody has to do it.

No comments: