Monday, May 28, 2007

Weeds

As much as I love nature, there are some things I am happy to kill. I don't like to kill spiders, unless they are in my house, but even then, I feel bad. I don't like to kill moths. They are just confused little critters trying to navigate by the light of the moon, but get dragged in by our lights. I don't like to pick flowers or walk off the trail and damage plants.

But there is one thing I am more than happy to kill. Weeds. But not every weed. Weeds that are native to Utah, that have always been here, may just be a "flower" that's in a place people don't want. For the most part, weeds are amazing survivors. And I applaud them and where they can grow. Even dandelions have their place.

But other weeds, especially non-native, invasive weeds! They must go! And my front lawn is full of them, unfortunately. Especially my front curb area. I have decided the only thing I can do is to Roundup the whole area, remove it all once it's dead, and re-plant new grass.

I'd actually like to do that to my entire lawn - front and back. But that could get a little out of hand. So we'll just start with that front curb and see how it goes.

I'm going to Roundup tomorrow. Wish me luck!

No comments: