Monday, May 19, 2008

GSL Bird Festival

The Great Salt Lake Bird Festival started last Thursday. Today was the last day, and I was finally able to make it on a trip this morning. It just happens to be the hottest day of the year so far, but we saw about 30 species, five or so were new for this year, and a couple were new for me in general.

I think they had just spotted a Western Kingbird

My first Northern Rough-winged Swallow

It was a beautiful day. The flax was blooming, bright and blue. The river was running swiftly and quietly, except when the carp came to the surface in spawning frenzies.


We spent about 3 hours out there until it got too hot for us and the birds. I stayed a little longer hoping to spot the Night-heron that had been seen here recently. No luck. But it was still nice to be there.

I would like to have stayed longer, but my swamp cooler was calling to me to get it running before everyone in my home, including cats, dog, gecko all melted away.

.

No comments: