By this time next week we will be in Disneyland. We have been planning this trip for over three years. In an effort to not use credit at all, we have been saving our loose change, a few tax credits, and tax refunds, and finally we've saved enough to go.
Five people, six days, four parks. Plus food, hotel room, souvenirs, and rental car (so we don't all kill each other being crammed to tightly together). It's a whole lot of money. But if we are wise and prudent, we won't have to put anything on credit. Pretty amazing really, seeing how I've never done a trip of any consequence without having to use credit. The tickets are purchased, the rental is reserved, the room is reserved, the itinerary is set.
A trip to Disneyland isn't exactly one of those relaxing vacations, where you just sit on the beach or at the pool-side the whole time (and I would love a vacation like that), but still I am looking forward to this trip for many reasons.
* Time away from work (no school groups, grants to write or manage, commuting, planning, etc. for ten days!)
* Spending time with people I love
* An adventure - It's been 10 years since I've been to Disneyland.
* New scenery (hoping to see a few new birds)
* A few choice rides I'm looking forward to experiencing
* Sea World for a day
* Universal Studios for a day
* The beach for a couple of days (maybe that's where the relaxation will come in)
* Staying in a hotel (I love staying in hotels)
* The drive (yes, even that excites me. After all, isn't it about the journey?)
* Opportunities for lots of pictures!
* Meeting up with other friends who will be there at the same time, just by coincidence.
And even though it may not be the picture perfect vacation (teenagers do tend to get a bit grumpy), it will be a grand adventure!