Sunday, February 01, 2009

Bird Photography Weekly

I'm headed out to do a little BIGBY birding this morning. I mostly just need to get out into that cold sunshine, and take a walk under that beautiful blue sky. It's February, and I'm anxious to see what birds come out to play; to breathe in that crisp air; let the stresses of the week soak out into the sidewalks and pathways. For most people, the weekly stresses begin on Monday. Monday is my respite, and I'm grateful for it.

On another note, today is the beginning of another installment of Bird Photography Weekly. These photos were taken last week looking out the windows of the visitor center.

While watching the many birds at the feeder, including House Finches, Black-capped Chickadees, Pine Siskins, and Juncos, something caught my eye. I pulled out my bins, and zeroed in on one Junco in particular. There was something wrong - it's tail was way too short. Then I realized, its tail length was just fine, it was just pure white.

Partial albino Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon race)


I never did get a picture that I loved, but these will just have to do. It really was quite pretty.

To see other birds this week, click the link below.


5 comments:

mick said...

That's a very interesting variation in the plumage. Great that you were able to get photos of it.

Anonymous said...

Awesome spot Wendy! Isn't it funny how we can find the misfits in a group of birds. That very cool white-tailed Junco is quite the find.

Thanks for sharing the photo as who knows when any of us may see another bird like that.

Neil said...

Photos look good and the snow looks cold.

Kyle said...

Great post, Wendy. I really like that second shot of the Junco amidst the pine cones and patches of grass. What's the white stuff all over the ground, though? We don't get much of that down here!

Heidi said...

Cool spot! I had to blow up the pic to see that white tail... I too would have thought the tail was too short - or missing.