Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Flycatcher's Kinglets and Crossbills (BPW)

Hammond's or Dusky? I just don't know. And I don't know their individual voices well enough to tell. That is something I need to become more familiar with, I guess. (It isn't either one actually. Thanks to a tip from another blogger, I have come to realize this was actually a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Not a life bird for me, but one I haven't seen in quite a while.)




We've been having more snow, and more cold weather the past few days. It's made me want to hunker down inside. And because of that, I haven't been out much except on a few walks here and there through the neighborhood. Hence I haven't seen too many new birds this past month.

However, the highlight of the one trip I did go on was a nice flock of Red Crossbills. I got two lousy pictures of them, one better than the other posted here. These were a first for me.

I'm sure I wouldn't even had noticed these that day, except they were the bird I was looking for, having been alerted to their presence in Liberty Park by a fellow blogger. And the bird lists I follow had been mentioning these and White-winged Crossbills quite a lot lately.

The next day at work, I just happened to pass by the window that looks out to our feeders and took a quick look at a very serendipitous moment. There, right in front of me, were three White-winged Crossbills. Another first. Not just for me, but as far as I know, for the park as well.


2 comments:

Larry Jordan said...

Congrats on the two new species, the White-winged and Red Crossbills! Isn't it fun to find new birds we have never seen.

Since getting my new camera, I have found that there are many things I don't see on first look when viewing birds. I actually took a photo last week of some Common Mergansers to find a Killdeer sitting right next to them in the photo that I never saw!

I have been working hard on learning more bird songs also as we usually hear them before we see them (especially this time of year when the trees leaf out).

I believe the bird in your first set of photos is one of my favorite birds, the Ruby-crowned Kinglet! Check out my post on this cute little guy and see what you think. If it moved constantly and flitted its wings, it was a Ruby.

Wendy said...

Larry. Yes, you are exactly right. It is in fact a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. I don't see them very often, and didn't see the red on the head. But it was moving constantly. And now that I check, it fits those characteristics much better. I should have realized it wasn't behaving like a flycatcher.

Thanks